How to make RP

You need help then say it here!!!

How to make RP

Postby Samiy » Fri 2. May 2008, 23:30

Written by: Harbu.
(c) 2006

This tutorial will cover the very basics and hopefuly everyone will be able to understand how to install the plugins.

It's written for Windows but with some knowledge of Linux you can probably use this guide as reference for installing it on Linux. I will also assume that you will be running the game server and sql server on the same computer.

Requierments
- Half-life modification
- AMXX 1.76
- MySQL 4.1 - and I mean MYSQL not MSSQL or anything else like that...
- MySQL editing application

Step 1 - Installing AMXX

I assume you can do this already, if there are people who can't tell me and I will add this part.

Step 2 - Downloading the plugins

I'm going to use the Harbu's TSRP Plugins 0.3a set in this tutorial but the install progress should be almost the same for any other version.

First of all download the plugin(s) from coming soon Download HarbuRP_Talkarea.amxx, HarbuRPAlpha.amxx and HarbuRPItems.amxx.

Step 3 - Installing the plugins

Open the directory in which AMXX lies in:

Listen server: <Install Path>\Steam\SteamApps\<account>\half-life\ts\addons\amxmodx
Dedicated server: <Install Path>Steam\SteamApps\<account>\dedicated server\ts\addons\amxmodx

eg. C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\harubuf\half-life\ts\addons\amxmodx

The directory should look like the picture below

[/b]

Then open the plugins directory and move/copy the files we just downloaded into it so the three files: HarbuRP_Talkarea.amxx, HarbuRPAlpha.amxx and HarbuRPItems.amxx should be in the plugins directory now. Like in the picture below

After copying/moving the files go back to the AMXX directory and then choose the configs directory and the plugins.ini file with a text-editor program like notepad.

Now in the plugins.ini add the following lines at the very end after the "; Custom - Add 3rd party plugins here" part..
Code:

; Custom - Add 3rd party plugins here
HarbuRPAlpha.amxx debug
HarbuRPItems.amxx debug
HarbuRP_Talkarea.amxx debug

Your plugins.ini file should look like the screen below, remeber to save the changes you just did. Also make sure "HarbuRP_Talkarea.amxx debug" is last in the plugins.ini file.

Good, now open the modules.ini file and remove the semicolons (Wink from mysql, fun, engine, fakemeta, tsx, tsfun. Your modules.ini file should now look like the code below (feel free to just copy paste the code below and paste it in the modules.ini file if you are unsure). Rember again, to save.

Code:

;;;
; To enable a module, remove the semi-colon (;) in front of its name.
; If it's not here, simply add it its name, one per line.
; You don't need to write the _amxx part or the file extension.
;;;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; SQL Modules usually need to be enabled manually ;;
;; You can have any number on at a time. Use ;;
;; amx_sql_type in sql.cfg to specify the default ;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

mysql
;sqlite

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; Put third party modules below here. ;;
;; You can just list their names, without the _amxx ;;
;; or file extension. ;;

;; These modules will be auto-detected and loaded ;;
;; as needed. You do not need to enable them here ;;
;; unless you have problems. ;;

fun
engine
fakemeta
;geoip
;sockets
;regex
;nvault
tsx
tsfun

Step 4 - The "Evil" MySQL
This is the part where 90% of people screw up everything for some reason. So be 100% sure you're doing everything correctly. And do not by pass this for any reason, you need MYSQL to run the plugins! They won't work without it. If you are wondering what MySQL is, it's a database kind of like an excel worksheet.

First of all, let's download the MySQL database. It must be MySQL and preferably version 4.1. To my knowledge 5.0 or 3.0 won't work so make sure it's at 4.1.x or at least 4.0.x ( By x I mean any value ).

Now go to the following link
http://downloads.mysql.com/archives.php ... 1&v=4.1.21 and scroll down until you hit "Microsoft Windows" and choose to download the "Microsoft Windows 32. (Windows Installer format)"

Run the file and press next when the introduction window pops-up. When it ask for the setup type choose Typical and press next and install. After it has installed the MySQL it will ask if you want to create a mysql.com account choose Skip Sign-Up and press next. On the last window make sure "Configure the MySQL server now" checkbox is enabled (image) and press Finish.

Hopefully a configuration wizard will now open. Press next on the introduction window and when it asks for a configuration type choose "Standar Configuration". On the next window make sure "Install As Windows Service" is checked and "Launce the MySQL server automaticly" is checked.

On the next window make sure "Modify Security Settings" is checked and type in a password of your choice. Make sure you remeber the password, write it on paper or something just incase. When done press next.

Now the only thing left to do is to press the "Execute" button. Now the MySQL settings will be applied and the MySQL server will be turned on. You shouldn't get any errors here. Press Finish and you're done.

Step 5 - Navicat - Configuring

Now you should get a client to access MySQL, I will use Navicat on this guide which is unfortunately a demo-version but after you learn to use Navicat you will probably be able to use any other sql client.

Go to http://www.navicat.com/download.html and download the newest version of Navicat and install it. Make sure you download the Windows version.

The install should be a pretty simple one so I won't go into details on how to install the client. Run the client and choose the big "Connection" button on the left-top. A window should popup. Fill in the connection name with "harbu". Also if not already filled in, put host name as "localhost, port as "3306" and user name as "root". Now on the password box, fill in the same password you provided on the MySQL install. Press the Test Connection box, if it returns a popup saying "Connection Succesful" it's working. Press ok and ok.

Now a "harbu" entry should be seen on the connections list on the left. Click it and it should turn green.

Now go this topic http://plugin.harbu.org/viewtopic.php?t=9 and download the .sql file ( "SQL Batch" ) that is corresponded to the map you are going to run. If you can't find the .sql file for the map you which to run on your roleplay server then choose a random one or a close one. eg. Mecklenburg_final.sql will most likely work pretty well with other mecklenburg versions. Also later on I will write a tutorial on how to configure a map for the plugin yourself. It's pretty learnable.

Anyway go back to Navicat and right-click on the "harbu" connection on the left-side list and choose "New Database". Add in "harbu" as the database name and make sure character set is "Default character set". Press OK.

Now right-click the "harbu" database we just created on the left-side list under the "harbu connection" and choose "Execute batch file...". Select the .sql file we just downloaded.

If all goes well it should execute the file without errors. Click the finish button and close Navicat.

Step 6 - Configuring plugins

Download a configuration file to the corresponded map you are running from the old topic and extract it in your amxx folder, the one we opened when we started the tutorial ( Not the plugin folder ). Now open the amxx folder and go to configs/HarbuRP/ and open the harbu_rp_config.cfg file with a text-editor. Everything else except the economy_mysql_pass, itemmod_mysql_pass and talkarea_mysql_pass should be filled in correctly. Fill the values that I mentioned on my last sentence with the password you filled in when installing MySQL. So in the end the beginning of the config file should look like this
Code:

//////////////////////////////////
// MySQL connection cvars
//////////////////////////////////

economy_mysql_host "127.0.0.1" // IP to the sql database to connect
economy_mysql_user "root" // Username for the sql database
economy_mysql_pass "mypass" // Password for the sql database
economy_mysql_db "harbu" // The name of the database to use

itemmod_mysql_host "127.0.0.1"
itemmod_mysql_user "root"
itemmod_mysql_pass "mypass"
itemmod_mysql_db "harbu"

talkarea_mysql_host "127.0.0.1"
talkarea_mysql_user "root"
talkarea_mysql_pass "mypass"
talkarea_mysql_db "harbu"

Feel free to modify the other settings too.

Step 7 - Fire up the server
Fire up the server and voila the plugins should be working. Make sure to do amx_setright <yourname> z in console while in game so you can give out jobs in-game. If the plugins aren't working feel free to ask for help on the forums.
Samiy
Administrator

by Advertising » Fri 2. May 2008, 23:30

Advertising

TAGS

Return to Help